Thursday, February 20, 2014

'Unjust' mining laws slammed by former judges

'Unjust' mining laws slammed by former "It's time to stand up and be counted," said former Family Court judge Ian Coleman, SC, of his decision to represent landowners without payment as they struggle to deal with "bullish" coal mining companies.

'I just saw more and more of what I thought was an unjust system': former Family Court judge Ian Coleman.
'I just saw more and more of what I thought was an unjust system': former Family Court judge Ian Coleman.
"I just saw more and more of what I thought was an unjust system, and I wanted to help," he said.
"The existing process is such that if you had a dispute with your next-door neighbour over a barking puppy you would have access to a more legal assessment of the issues than some [access matters] being heard at the moment, and some of these are extremely complicated legal matters."
Legislation was inadequate to deal with the reality of a coalmining industry backed by multinational companies, in an era of "super mines", and with governments relying on coal royalties.


Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/unjust-mining-laws-slammed-by-former-judges-20140219-32zi0.html#ixzz2tqfV7nPZ

No comments:

Post a Comment